Jacob S. Gill
Jacob Gill represents clients on a wide range of matters, including patent, trademark, and other intellectual property litigation and licensing; complex business and securities litigation; and securities/regulatory compliance matters. Jacob's multi-faceted perspective allows him to serve his clients' diverse and unique needs.
Jacob is a member of the Federal Bar Association, Oregon State Bar and Multnomah Bar Association. He has been admitted to practice in both state and federal courts. Jacob joined Stoll Berne in 2003 after earning his law degree from the University of Oregon, where he was Order of the Coif.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & TRADE SECRET LITIGATION MATTERS:
- Representing a leading producer of chipping and planning systems for the global wood products industry in a lawsuit to protect the client’s trade secrets. Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction, and successfully enforced those injunctions in a contempt proceeding.
- Represented a Florida-based global provider of retail merchandising display and security solutions in multiple patent infringement lawsuits against a primary competitor. In an action to enforce the client’s rights in its patented retail display and security system, secured summary judgment of infringement, a consent judgment and permanent injunction, and successfully enforced the injunction through a finding of contempt.
- Represented a leading company in the global outdoor apparel, footwear, accessories, and equipment markets, in a lawsuit that affirmed the client’s rights in its proprietary heating technology. Obtained dismissal with prejudice and no-contact order against party asserting competing rights to the technology.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of oil and gas drilling equipment in a lawsuit to recover for misappropriation of trade secrets by the client’s former engineers. Obtained settlement in excess of $1 million for the client.
- Represented the Japanese manufacturer of category-defining art markers in multiple lawsuits to enforce its trademark rights against infringers, including the U.S. affiliates of manufacturers and distributors based in Korea and the U.K.
- Represented a Washington, DC-based global fitness training and publication company in a lawsuit to enforce its trademark rights and confirm its ownership of a disputed mark. Obtained a consent judgment confirming the client’s rights and a permanent injunction against any future infringement.
- Represented inventor and owner of the "short magnum" firearm and ammunition patents in a lawsuit to enforce his patents against infringement by major firearms and ammunition manufacturers. Obtained summary judgment of infringement.
- Represented a manufacturer of backup power fuel cell products in a patent infringement lawsuit relating to the client’s patented integrated hydrogen generator systems.
- Represented a local winery in a trademark infringement lawsuit against a U.K.-based online wine retailer.
- Represented a patent owner in a multi-jurisdictional dispute to enforce the terms of a patent license agreement.
- Represented a local author in connection with the publication of a medical treatise by a national publisher.
BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL AND SECURITIES LITIGATION MATTERS:
- Representing the named plaintiff in an MDL class action to recover dividends declared but never paid by BP plc following the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
- Representing an Oregon bank in a multi-party action involving claims of derivative liability against the client.
- Represented the State of Oregon and Oregon Public Employees Retirement Fund as Special Assistant Attorney General in seeking to recover losses to the Fund due to fraud and material misstatements.
- Represented a major syndicator of investment real estate in complex multi-party negotiations and litigation related to the client’s rights with respect to a portfolio of medical office buildings located in California, Texas, and Florida.
- Represented a surety who had provided a standby letter of credit in connection with the construction of railcars for TriMet's WES commuter rail service.
- Represents owners in disputes arising out of the purchase or sale of significant or controlling ownership interests in their companies.
- Represents employers and employees in disputes arising out of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Represents customers, broker-dealers, and registered representatives in FINRA arbitrations.
SECURITIES COMPLIANCE / REGULATORY REPRESENTATION:
- Advises registered broker-dealers and investment advisors with respect to applicable FINRA rules and federal and state securities laws and regulations.
- Represents registered broker-dealers and investment advisors and their representatives in connection with FINRA and SEC examinations, investigations, enforcement proceedings, and other regulatory matters.
- Represented a national registered broker-dealer in connection with a FINRA continuing membership application related to a major change in its business operations.
209 SW Oak St
Portland, Oregon 97204
Tel: (503) 227-1600
Fax: (503) 227-6840
- University of Oregon, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2003
- Portland State University, B.A. with High Honors (Economics), 1998
- Oregon State Bar, 2003
- United States District Court, Oregon, 2004
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2009
- Stoll Berne; associate, 2003-2010; Of Counsel, 2011-present
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission; research specialist, 2002
Oregon State Bar
- Securities Regulation Section, Executive Committee, 2009-present
- Intellectual Property Section, member
- Business Section, member
- Business Litigation Section, member
- Author of the 2009 Supplement to Chapter 12 of the Oregon State Bar Contracts CLE
Multnomah Bar Association
- CLE Committee; 2006-2009, Chair 2007-2008
- Federal Bar Association
- Friends of Forest Park